CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, July 18, 2011

Christmas in July - Day 1

Welcome!  Welcome! Welcome to Christmas in July!

It's nice to be in crafting mode again. We were on vacation 2 weeks ago up in the Black Hills of South Dakota. It was perfect. Temps ranged from 75-80 degrees and there were almost no mosiquitos. It was so nice to get away. We have no cell phone service at the cabin so the kids were forced to be unplugged for quite awhile. Unfortunately, when we got back, temps in Nebraska were pushing 100 degrees and the humidty's killer. It's supposed to hoover around 95-100 degrees for the next week. Yuck, but a good excuse to stay inside crafting!


I was originally going to use the Christmas Card solutions cart, that I won last spring.  I had good intentions and the card isn't a complete bust but it just didn't turn out as cute as I was envisioning.  I used an aqua cardstock for the people and reins and they just disappeared into the white background.  In person it's cute but doesn't photograph the best.  I think I just need to spend a bit more time with this cartridge.  You'll see it again down the road.




So, I switched up and used the Winter Woodland cartridge.








I used the card function on the Winter Woodland cartridge. I also used my gypsy to size an ice skate to go over the silhoutte of the card.  You can't just cut an ice skate at the same size as your card because they aren't made to line up with each other.  By using the gypsy I could line them up til the skate fit over the silhoutte with just a smidge of trimming.  I really do love my gypsy for a # of reasons.  I never got into the Design Studio.  I love the portability and seeing what I am cutting on the mat before cutting.  It also enables me to let my sister use the cartridges for projects in her school libraries.  She doesn't have any kind of budget for that type of stuff.  If you work in a public school system you know what I'm talking about. 

I used AC cardstock for the card base. DCWV silver glitter paper and a scrap of pale aqua cardstock. Normally when you use the card function you would have a very plain card. I added all these extra layers so that the silhoutte would be the dimensional ice skate. This ice skate does have a ribbon that is part of it but I cut that piece off so I could make my own. I used my crop-a-dile to add eyelets for lacing the skates and then a piece of red/white twine for the laces. I think this one turned out so cute and I love how I really made this one my own by adding the eyelets and laces!

I'm sure that at least some of you looked at the picture of the inside and are wondering about the sentiment.  I left it blank on purpose.  I've got some stamps ordered that haven't arrived yet.  No worries, it will be stamped before I use it.

Hope you enjoy it and take a minute to look at some of your carts in a different way! 
Hugs
Carrie

4 comments:

Carole of Brum said...

Lovely job, Carrie, and I really like that iceskate, looks a great design and the twine is perfect to finish it off. CoB

Janet said...

Both cards are great Love how you did the laces on the skates Great idea!
Big Blog Hugs

Cathy said...

I love both the cards. I would love to get the woodland cartridge.
mexicopetshop at hotmail dot com

littlen said...

very nice cards. tfs.
littlen44atgmaildotcom

Post a Comment